Monday, April 7, 2008

Reflections of a New Mother

Being a full time stay-at-home mother is a very enlightening experience. You are suddenly your own boss. You have complete control over your own schedule. How you spend your time is your own business. That is, as long as your itty-bitty dictator is in agreement. How will you spend your time?

There is definitely a pull toward some indulgent practices in order to, as it were, make up for your servitude the rest of the time. For example, when baby goes down for a nap, it is tempting to pop in a movie, watch a talk show (if you have cable tv), read a novel, eat some ice cream, or whatever your indulgence is. I don't think these things are wrong in and of themselves, but they are almost guaranteed to steal your joy! By the end of the day melancholy is inevitable.

The difficulty arises because we are so fatigued from sleepless nights and busy babies. It feels hard, if not impossible, to do any diligent study. We start to read the bible or some other stimulating book and fall asleep in the first few pages. How do we fight this physical and spiritual lethargy?

I thought I would share some practices that I have found, through trial and error, to be helpful in giving energy and joy to motherhood. Starting tomorrow, I will begin to share some of my thoughts on this issue, in hopes that, to some degree, these tools may be a help for the weary mother.

2 comments:

Elisha Galotti said...

Oh christel!!!!! I am so happy that you are blogging again... I've missed reading your posts, being edified and encouraged through your faith, example, and transparent sharing of your life. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the posts that are to follow - and I can tell already that they will be a practical help for this new mom.
Glad you're back!

Elisha Galotti said...

Oops, that wasn't Justin. :) I'll have to somehow change that to appear as my name in the future.
love, Elisha